Friday, November 27, 2015

The Technology in Education..... My Experience

Assalamulaikum wrt wbt and hi!

Finally... The 5th post for MIS750.

Untuk ibu (who never judge..) Hajjah Sumi binti Ahamad. T.E.R.I.M.A.K.A.S.I.H


Ibu did mention to me that her ambition was to be a teacher. Unfortunately, because of her family’s financial condition, she cannot further her study. Inspired by ibu’s ambition and my sisters (angah & alang..) who involved in education as well, I know from the beginning that I will be a lecturer. Six years ago, I had been offered by KPTM to be a Finance lecturer (at Bangi campus). Alhamdulillah.. I had fulfilled my ambition at the age of twenty-five.


KPTM previous logo
KPTM current logo

Involve in education line makes me aware with the rapid change of technology used in education, especially in term of physical facilities, hardware and applications. If you may recall, in early 1990s and 2000s, our teacher still using chalk (available in colourful version too..) and blackboard to teach. Their hand will become very dusty but they were still dedicated to carry out their responsibility. Ayah bought me and siblings the same set too at home but in smaller size so that we can use it for berangan.. eh, revision. Hehe. On that time, I did know about computer because ayah bought us one and sent me to computer class as well. Visiting library to finish homework, do revision and borrowing books (story book actually….) is a nice experience too.. It was the place where I assumed to be the most visited by clever and smart students.

Blackboard and colourful chalk... comeykn..?
Source: Google Image
Computer dulu kala..
Source: Google Image

During my diploma and bachelor, chalk and blackboard were no longer available. The lecturers (and teachers at school..) used marker and whiteboard to deliver their lectures, thus the problem of dusty hand (that claimed can affect health) solved! At that time, the main purpose for visiting library is to make a copy for the past final examination papers. I’d being introduced to the presentation by using PowerPoint slide and liquid-crystal display (LCD) projector. The first time I learnt about overhead projector (OHP) was when my angah prepared her Alat Bantu Mengajar (ABM). Then, I was very, very excited when I joint KPTM, I need to do the same things. The teaching materials need to be write or photostate on the transparency so that OHP projector can display it on screen. I photostate the same transparencies and distributed to my students as their notes.

OHP... Classic sgt!
Source: Google Image
LCD Projector..
Source: Google Image
Class for Bachelor (DBS) program at KPTM Bangi enhanced by LCD television too..

As the time goes by, KPTM Bangi upgraded the facilities to LCD projector, thus the transparency is no longer favorable. I started to type my notes but I never use PowerPoint slide since I taught calculation course (where switch on and off of LCD is not convenience). I required larger space to show the calculation during my lecture. So, I end up fully utilizing marker and whiteboard, while students referred to compilation of notes and exercises. Only on July 2015 semester, I used (I have to..) PowerPoint slide for the 1st time in my class since I was responsible for International Banking (FIN365) course that 100% was theory. There were sometime, I took an advantage by showing YouTube video in class. During the early semester, we sang The Climb by Miley Cyrus (to keep students positive..). 


In the middle of the semester, aaaaaa.... emmmm. Oppss! Well, I am utilizing the technologykn..? Hehehe..




Nowadays, students also did not have a problem to get past year question or to find material for research since everything is available online, known as digital library or digital repository (they are very lucky as compared to our zaman..). Students can log in by using ID and key-in password to access the knowledge management system. Currently, I have a privilege to access Perpustakaan Tun Abdul Razak,UiTM and DBS Library that allow me to easily ‘reach’ the super duper awesome database. I read an interesting research about Digital Libraries in Malaysia, conducted by Norasiah Haji Harun from Faculty of Information Management, UiTM. You might want to read the research too..

Traditional Library.. where the book on shelves.

The library layout..
Perpustakaan Tun Abdul Razak, UiTM.. yang berjasa.
DBS Library.. yang berjasa too.

The use of technology (gadgets, applications etc…) in education is more than that. Even KPTM is slowly adopting the online learning method. According to What is OnlineLearning, it is the method of delivering educational information via the internet, and requires application like iTunes U, instead of in a physical classroom. KPTM is using Online Learning System (OLES), and since I’m teaching UiTM program, I also may use iCLASS Learning Management System by UiTM. The Benefits of Online Learning is worth to read. Emmmm… maybe I’m a conventional type of person (ni my younger brother said, En. Syg kata saya kuno…samala tu), I agreed that online learning is attractive especially for youngsters, however, I still believe that the existence of physical lecturer or teacher is a MUST for the learning session to become effective and meaningful. I have the opportunity to attend the training conducted by Dublin Business School (DBS) Ireland via Skype (that solve the distance issue….), and I can feel that ‘something is missing’, even the session is knowledge wise.

OLES by KPTM
iCLASS by UiTM

Oh ye.. Have you heard about SMART board before? KPTM Bangi has SMART board but only in one of the meeting room. The smart board actually is a type of interactive whiteboards that produced in 1990 by PARC (formerly known as Xeroc PARC) and SMART board being developed by the owner of SMART Company, David Martin. According to Chris Preston and Lee Mowbray in their research, SMART board is the whiteboard that displaying the image from the computer monitor with the surface operating as a giant touch screen. The screen can be touched by using finger or the electronic pens provided. SMART board, that supported by SMART Notebook software is said to improve pedagogy and student engagement in class. What do you think..? Ten Ways to get Smart with SMART Board provides detail on what SMART board can do. As compared to online learning, I definitely preferred this! Besides SMART board, I also learnt on how to use IEE scanner that the function just like LCD, but more lighter, portable and can connect to lappy, and the last device so far is Wacom Intuos, that is suitable to be used in lecture hall and...... also for the lecturer who like to write a lot (Aida must try!) Hehe..

The SMART Board..
Wacom Intuos..
Source: Google Image

So, what is your opinion on the use of technology in education…? As I said in Part 2: Aida vs Technology,  technology's advancement never ends. You might want to find out (analyze and digest..heheWhat is the Future of Technology in Education...? said about this matter.

Kawan-kawan MBA UiTM (KPTM in-house program), tenang-tenangkan hati for tomorrow final exam (assessment). 

Source: SOHOblogshop
Terus Maju Jaya, untuk diri sendiri kerana ALLAH SWT.

Dear readers, many thanks. And, sampai bertemu!

P.S. Aida is listening to Joey McIntyre - Stay the Same




1 comment: